More than a dozen emergency vehicles responded to the explosion at 2801 Knight St., but there were no serious injuries. One maintenance person was treated on the scene to remove glass from his arm.
Atmos Energy was on the scene to shut off the gas along with two plumbing trucks to seal any exposed gas lines.
Residents of the complex had been reporting the smell of gas in the laundry room to the property manager for at least five months. The owner of the complex had done nothing about it, according to the residents standing outside the complex.