Have an event coming up? E-mail your information to staff writer James Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday at 10 a.m. for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guests are Lou Anne Smoot and Brenda McWilliams from Tyler PFLAG; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community at 7 p.m. every second Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce Street, Suite C; Fuse game night every Monday evening but the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the ilume, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, Apt 2367; Fuse Connect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. at the Fuse Space.
• June 6: Oak Lawn Library Friends hosts Transcending Gender author Tracy James Jones
Jones will discuss her latest novel LGBT romance novel Secrets & Lies at 11 a.m. at the Oak Lawn Public Library auditorium 4100 Cedar Springs Road. Copies available for purchase. For more information e-mail Stan Aten at email@example.com.
• June 5: Fairway to Equality Auction and Calcutta
Auction and fundraiser for HRC DFW’s Fairway to Equality Golf Tournament with celebrity emcee Dana Goldberg begins at 6:30 p.m. at Sue Ellen’s, 3014 Throckmorton. Free and open to the public.
• June 6: Fairway to Equality Golf Tournament
Benefits HRC DFW. Sold out. For more information visit HRC.org/Dallasgolf.
• June 6: DFW Trans Ladies Monthly Meeting
Meets from 7:00–8:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of every month at Agape MCC, 4615 E. California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit DFWTGLadies.org.
• June 6: Free Dallas Zoo Day
Dallas City Councilmen Adam Medrano, Scott Griggs and Philip Kingston host a free day for their constituents, friends and families from 9 a.m.–12 p.m. at the Dallas Zoo, 650 S. R.L. Thornton Freeway. At least one attendee must live in Districts 1, 2 or 14. Check your district at maps.DallasCityhall.com. Admission is free. $8 parking fee.
• June 11: LifeWalk “What’s the Fuss?” Tour and Mixer
Meet the people behind the work at AIDS Arms clinics with a tour and mixer beginning at 6 p.m. at the Trinity Health and Wellness Center, 219 Sunset 116-A. Tours begin at 6 p.m. and the program at 7:15 p.m. For more information and to RSVP e-mail Hannah Orsburn at email@example.com.
• June 12: Congregation Beth El Binah
Celebrates the ancient Biblical holiday LGBT Pride Shabbat 7:30 p.m. at Resource Center, 2701 Reagan. For more information visit Bethelbinah.org.
• June 12: High Tech Happy Hour
Texas Instruments Pride, the LGBT and ally diversity group, hosts its monthly High Tech Happy Hour to increase professional and social contacts between groups and individuals and to foster community. 5:30–7:30 p.m. at Cedar Springs Tap House, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, Ste. 100. For more information e-mail Paul von Wupperfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 14: SPCA Paws Cause 2015
20th anniversary celebration of SPCA fundraiser for SPCA of Texas’ Mary Spencer Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic at Village Fair from 6–9 p.m. at the Jan Rees-Jones Animal Care Center, 2400 Lone Star Drive. Tickets are $150 each. Limited quantity. For more information, visit Pawscausedallas.org.
• June 14: Fifth Annual North Texas Gay Pride Festival
Family-friendly festival features entertainment including former McKinney resident Hollie Cavangh and Jane McGarry of WFAA as well as games, photo booths and vendors from 1–5 p.m. in downtown McKinney, 218 E. Louisiana. Benefits Collin County’s Hope’s Door, an organization offering domestic violence resources and services. Tickets are $5 per person at NorthTexasPride.org or $10 per person at the gates. Children 12 and under are free. For more information visit NorthTexasPride.org.
• June 16: DFW Transcendence Trans/SOFFA Meeting
Trans and ally support group meets monthly on first and third Tuesdays from 7–9 p.m. at Agape MCC, 4615 E. California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information call Finn Jones at 214-499-0378 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• June 18: Urban Engagement Book Club: Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Pikkety
CitySquare’s monthly Urban Engagement Book Club explores various social justice issues with writer Randy Mayeux and local social justice leaders. Free. Noon of every third Thursday at the Opportunity Center, 1610 S. Malcolm X Blvd. For more information visit CitySquare.org.
• June 18: Pride Party in Plano
Celebrate pride and toast the pending Supreme Court decision on marriage equality with GALA North Texas from 5:30–8:30 p.m. at the Blue Martini Lounge, 7301 Lone Star Drive, A-110, Plano. Event includes half price discount drinks, free appetizers and raffle prizes. For more information visit On.fb.me/1PR9HrD.
Rabbi Stephen Fisch, left, and President Josh Manes, take out
the Torah at a previous Gay Pride Shabbat service. This year’s event
will take place on June 12 at Resource Center. People of all
faiths are welcome.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition June 5, 2015.