Have an event coming up? Email your information to staff writer James Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday at 10 a.m. for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guest is Candy Marcum; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community at 7 p.m. every second Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce St., ste. C; Fuse game night every Monday evening but the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the ilume, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, apt. 2367; Fuse Connect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. at the Fuse Space.
• July 31–Aug. 1: Seventh Annual Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit
Summit addressing transgender issues in higher education with keynote speakers, workshops and panels. 9 a.m.–5:30 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m. on Saturday at University of Texas at Dallas, 800 West Campbell Road, Richardson. Register online
at Txtns.org/register. For more information, contact Josephine Tittsworth at email@example.com.
• Aug. 1-14: Youth First Youth Reception Art Show
Meet the artists at ilume Gallerie, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, Aug. 5 from 6-8 p.m.
• Aug. 1: SPCA of Texas and Jack FM Host Mutts at the Movies
Free, family-fun screening of Beethoven, the Loveable Saint Bernard at 8:30 p.m. at the Shops at Park Lane, 8080 Park Lane. Seating begins at 7 p.m. Free.
• Aug. 1: AIDS Interfaith Network Leo Party
8 p.m. at the Hidden Door, 5025 Bowser St. For more information, visit AIDSInterfaithNetwork.org.
• Aug. 1: DFW Trans Ladies Monthly Meeting
Meets from 7–8:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of every month at Agape MCC, 4615 E. California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit DFWTGLadies.org.
• Aug. 2: Dallas Voice Wedding Party & Expo
Marriage equality expo sponsored by the Dallas Voice and the North Texas LGBT Chamber of Commerce includes wedding specialists and vendors to answer your questions and help you plan your wedding. Performances include Turtle Creek Chorale and a fashion show 12–6 p.m. at the Hilton Anatole Hotel Stemmons Ballroom, 2201 N. Stemmons Freeway. Free admission. Registration required. To register,
• Aug. 4: DFW Transcendence Trans/SOFFA Meeting
Trans and ally support group meets monthly on first and third Tuesdays from 7–9 p.m. at Agape MCC, 4615 East California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information,
call Finn Jones at 214-499-0378 or email at email@example.com.
• Aug. 6: Black Tie Dinner Sneak Peek
Sneak peek of 34th annual Black Tie Dinner features complimentary cocktails, wine and tacos with announcements at 6:30 p.m.
at Park Place Mercedes-Benz, 6113 Lemmon Ave. To RSVP, visit On.fb.me/1I54CbD.
• Aug. 5: Gay and Lesbian Fund for Dallas Cocktail Party
Fundraiser for Dallas Theater Center celebrating the group’s world premiere of Moonshine: That Hee Haw Musical 6–7:30 p.m. Pay what you can. For location and to RSVP, email Robin Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 5: First Annual Adult Protective Services Community Board Caregiver Awards Luncheon
Awarding excellence in professional elder care advocacy, promotion and best practices 1:30–4:30 p.m. at 5 Star Premiere Residences, 5455 La Sierra Drive. For more information, call John Dornheim at 214-341-7133.
• Aug. 6: LGBTQ Saves Back to School
Gathering for area LGBT youth at 7 p.m. at First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church, 1959 Sandy Lane, Fort Worth. For more information, visit LGBTQSaves.org.
• Aug. 6: Fort Worth PFLAG meeting
Meets every first Thursday of the month from 7–9 p.m. at First Jefferson Unitarian Universalist Church, 1959 Sandy Lane, Fort Worth. For more information, call 817-428-2329 or visit PflagFortWorth.org.
• Aug. 7: Youth First Art Show Young Professionals Advisory Council Reception
Learn about YPAC and ways to support Youth First from 6–8 p.m. at ilume Gallerie, 4123 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 11: Ed-U-Care Building Bridge Network: “Awareness – The Care Needs of LGBTQ Older Adults”
Training group for caretakers of LGBT seniors hosts a dinner followed by screening of the movie Gen Silent and LGBT senior and caretaker needs 6-8:30 p.m. at The Senior Source, 3910 Harry Hines Blvd. For more information and to RSVP e-mail Sharyn Fein at email@example.com.
• Aug. 12: Jenny Block Book Launch Party
Dallas Voice contributor Jenny Block hosts a party for her new book O Wow! Discovering Your Ultimate Orgasm at 7 p.m. at Komali, 4152 Cole Ave. Copies available for purchase at Tinyurl.com/owowbook.
• Aug. 13: Savor Dallas Toast of the Town Series: Jameson, Dude!
Goody Goody Liquor sponsors year-round events hosted by Dallas chefs pairing signature dishes with a variety of alcohols. Dude, Sweet Chocolate’s Katherine Clapner and Jameson Irish Whiskey Brand Ambassador Darren Mooney partner this month for a chocolate and whiskey pairing at Dude, Sweet Chocolate, 1925 Greenville Ave. Tickets are $25. Purchase tickets at Bit.ly/1JvlkFF.
• Aug. 14: High Tech Happy Hour
Texas Instruments Pride, the LGBT and ally diversity group, hosts its monthly High Tech Happy Hour to increase professional and social contacts between groups and individuals and to foster community. 5:30–7:30 p.m. at Lake House Bar & Grill, 7510 E. Northwest Highway. For more information e-mail Paul von Wupperfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 15: Tarrant County Gay Pride Week Association Presents Family Connections
Seminar on LGBT family topics includes workshops on effective communication skills, education, heath, wellness and more from
8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. at Artes de la Rosa Cultural Center for the Arts at Rose Marine Theater, 1440 N. Main Street, Fort Worth. Free but registration required. To RSVP visit Bit.ly/1I552P9.
• Aug. 15: Lambda Legal’s Sixth Annual Landmark Dinner
6 p.m.-2 a.m. at the Adolphus Hotel, 1321 Commerce St. For more information, call Roger Poindexter at 214-219-8585 ext. 224 or email email@example.com.
Black Tie Dinner Sneak Peek
The 34th annual Black Tie Dinner: Ignite the Night takes place on Nov. 14, but organizers don’t want you waiting for the event until then. Ahead of the Nov. 14 fundraising extravaganza, BTD organizers host a free sneak peek with a few special announcements on Thursday, Aug. 6 at 6:30 p.m. Attendees will be treated to complimentary Stoli Vodka cocktails, wine by La Crema Winery and appetizers courtesy of Urban Taco. The free event is anticipating a large turnout, so plan to arrive early for prime parking, and first dibs on the food and drinks, too. 6:30 p.m. at Park Place Mercedes-Benz, 6113 Lemmon Ave. To RSVP visit On.fb.me/1I54CbD.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition July 31, 2015.