Have an event coming up? Email your information to staff writer James Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday at 10 a.m. for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guests are Katie Sprinkle and Leslie McMurray; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community at 7 p.m. every second Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce St., ste. C; Fuse game night every Monday evening but the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the ilume, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, apt. 2367; Fuse Connect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. at the Fuse Space. For more information, call Ruben Ramirez at 214-540-4500 or or email him at email@example.com.
• Aug. 1-14: Youth First Youth Art Show
ilume Gallerie, 4123 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 14: High Tech Happy Hour
Texas Instruments Pride, the LGBT and ally diversity group, hosts its monthly High Tech Happy Hour to increase professional and social contacts between groups and individuals and to foster community. 5:30–7:30 p.m. at Lake House Bar & Grill, 7510 E Northwest Highway. For more information e-mail Paul von Wupperfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 15: Lambda Legal’s Sixth Annual Landmark Dinner
6 p.m.-2 a.m. at the Adolphus Hotel, 1321 Commerce St. For more information, call Roger Poindexter at 214-219-8585 ext. 224 or email email@example.com.
• Aug. 15: Gaybingo: Pigskin
Monthly fundraiser for Resource Center takes place 6–9 p.m. at Rose Room at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. Doors open at 5 p.m. For more information, call214-540-4495 or email Gaybingo@myresourcecenter.org.
• Aug. 15: Dallas-Fort Worth Gay for Good Volunteer Project
DFW Gay For Good’s monthly volunteer project meets 10 a.m. at Promise House, 224 W. Page Ave.Register at Bit.ly/1g9j0bk. For more information contact Duncan Smith at 214-957-7300 or at G4G.DFW@gmail.com.
• Aug. 15: TCGPWA Presents Family
Connections Series: Education and Awareness Seminar on LGBT family topics includes workshops on effective communication skills, education, heath, wellness and more from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. at Artes de la Rosa Cultural Center for the Arts at Rose Marine Theater, 1440 N. Main St., Fort Worth. Free but registration required. To RSVP visit Bit.ly/1I552P9.
• Aug. 16: TCGPWA FCS and QCinema Present “The Art of Gay Entertainment”
Performance highlighting drag kings, queens and impersonators from 7-11 p.m. at Artes de la Rosa Cultural Center for the Arts at Rose Marine Theater, 1440 N. Main St., Fort Worth. $25. For more information and to purchase tickets visit Bit.ly/1I552P9.
• Aug. 18: DFW Transcendence Trans/SOFFA Meeting
Trans and ally support group meets monthly on first and third Tuesdays from 7–9 p.m. at Agape MCC, 4615 East California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information, call Finn Jones at 214-499-0378 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 18: AIDS Outreach Center Hope Walk Registration Party 2015
Register for the 2015 Hope Walk while enjoying free chips and salsa and happy hour discounts from 5-7 p.m. at Los Vaqueros University, 3105 Cockrell Ave., Fort Worth. For more information visit AOC.org/walk.
• Aug. 20: HRC DFW Federal Club HRC 101 Social
Learn more about HRC and meet Federal Club members from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Alexan at Fairmount Apartments, 4210 Fairmount St. Free but RSVP required. For tickets and more information visit Bit.ly/1P6OpH1
• Aug. 20: Resource Center’s Young Professionals Advisory Council Back-to-School Benefit
Giving circle for professionals up to 45 years hosts a back-to-school benefit for Youth First 6-8 p.m. at The Goss-Michael Foundation, 1405 Turtle Creek Blvd. For tickets and more information visit Myresourcecenter.org/ypac.
• Aug. 20: Urban Engagement Book Club: Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class by Ian Haney Lopez. CitySquare’s monthly Urban Engagement Book Club explores various social justice issues with writer Randy Mayeux and local social justice leaders. Free. Noon of every third Thursday at the Opportunity Center, 1610 S. Malcolm X Blvd. For more information, visit CitySquare.org.
• Aug. 21: Q Cinema 17 Sneak Peek
Check out the line-up for Fort Worth’s 17th Annual QCinema International Film Festival and enjoy complimentary appetizers and cocktails 7 p.m. at Amphibian Stage Productions, 120 S. Main St., Fort Worth. Doors open at 6 p.m. Ticket prices vary.
For tickets and more information visit Bit.ly/1I2cdKa.
• Aug. 21: HRC DFW Federal Club Married on the Weekend, Fired Monday Morning Mixer
Socialize with fellow HRC DFW Federal Club supporters and enjoy drink specials until
7 p.m. at Green Door Public House, 600 S. Harwood.
• Aug. 22: Razzle Dazzle Dallas bus trip to Winstar Casino
First of three bus trips to Winstar Casinos from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. benefits Razzle Dazzle Dallas, Home for the Holidays and The Greg Dollgener Memorial AIDS Fund. $75. Party bus will include adult beverages and soft drinks, snacks, entertainment and raffle prizes. Leaves from Cedar Springs at
8:30 a.m. and Collin Creek Mall at 9 a.m. For tickets and more information visit T.co/r7voNP2HBu or email Info@razzledazzledallas.org.
• Aug. 22: GALA’s Fifth Annual Party on Lake Lewisville
9 a.m.–1 p.m. aboard the 105-passenger Chaminox II party boat on Lake Lewisville. Tickets include lunch, drinks and entertainment by DJ Little Chalupa.
For tickets and more information visit GALANorthTexas.org.
AIDS Outreach Center Hope Walk Registration Party 2015
Aug. 18 marks the first of three registration events for the AIDS Outreach Center’s Hope Walk. Formerly known as the AIDS Walk and held in the spring,the event now is just around the corner: Sunday, Oct. 25. So enjoy some free chips and salsa and happy hour discounts from 5-7 p.m. at Los Vaqueros University, 3105 Cockrell Ave. in Fort Worth and register to walk for a cure.
If you can’t attend the first one, there are still two more events in September. The next opportunity to register and get some freebies, too, from 7-10 p.m. on Sept. 12 at Dr. Jekyll’s Beer Lab, 2420 W. Park Row, Pantego. Or enjoy a free private party with a buffet spread from 5-7 p.m. on Sept. 22 at Buttons, 4701 W. Freeway #100, Fort Worth. For more information, visit AOC.org/walk.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition August 14, 2015.