You may think that healthy is as healthy does that gay or straight, wellness is the same. But Frank Spinelli, M.D., sees it differently.
Spinelli is the author of The Advocate Guide to Gay Men’s Health and Wellness (Alyson Books), and in it, he details how gay men can tailor their health needs to fit their lifestyle.
Rather than concentrate solely on the physical, Spinelli’s holistic approach looks at well-being through mental, emotional and spiritual health as well.
To illustrate in part the uniqueness of the gay health experience, Spinelli who has been labeled the gay Dr. McDreamy for his smoldering looks suggests the following "5 Things Every Gay Man Should Ask Their Doctor." Have you asked these? If not, you might want to consider them:
1. Do you have any experience treating gay men?
2. Am I due for a checkup or a full physical exam?
3. Do I need new blood tests?
4. Should I begin getting rectal and prostate exams?
5. Should I be tested for sexually transmitted diseases gonorrhea, Chlamydia, herpes, syphilis and HIV?
Arnold Wayne Jones
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice Body & Fitness print edition February 15, 2008
Powered by Facebook Comments