Local Briefs – May 2, 2008

Posted on 01 May 2008 at 6:35pm
By Staff Reports

Animal groups unite for Adoptathon

Jeni Selesky with Dallas Animal Services holds Bailey, a 5-month-old collie mix available for adoption. Dallas Animal Services will join more than two dozen other animal-welfare groups at the Lone Star Pet Adoptathon this Saturday at The Ballpark in Arlington .


More than two dozen local animal shelters, humane societies and breed rescue groups will participate in the Texas Animal Shelter Coalition’s Lone Star Pet Adoptathon at The Ballpark in Arlington on Saturday, May 3, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The event, to be held in the ballpark’s parking lot, will feature adoptable animals and showcase shelters and rescue groups as the place to find the perfect pet.

Although thousands of animals are in animal shelters and rescue groups in North, Texas, "only 15 percent of pet owners get their furry companions from an animal welfare organization," said Anne Thomason, president of the Texas Animal Shelter Coalition. "The other 85 percent acquire pets from breeders, pet stores or from friends."

Tammy Kirkpatrick, coordinator of the Adoptathon, pointed out that adopting a pet from a shelter or rescue group, in effect, saves two lives: "the animal being adopted, and the animal you’re making room for."

Among the shelters, rescue groups and educational organizations participating in the Lone Star Pet Adoptathon are Dallas Animal Services, Companions for Life, 911 Wildlife, Irving Animal Services, Feral Friends, Arlington Animal Services, Chris’ Rescue Angels, Tri-City Animal Shelter, Hope Humane Society, DFW Labrador Retriever Rescue, North Richland Hills Animal Services, Coppell Animal Services, DFW Humane Society, Mansfield Animal Services, Humane Society of North Texas, SPCA of Texas, Dalmatian Rescue of North Texas, Southern States Rottie Rescue, Operation Kindness, Huts for Mutts Dog Rescue, DFW Shih Tzus & More Rescue, Mobile Animal Rescue Services, Fort Worth Animal Services, Animal Angels, Mid Cities Humane Society and Lamar County Humane Society.

The Ballpark in Arlington is located on I-30 at Ballpark Way in Arlington. There is no charge for admission to the Adoptathon, and the cost to adopt a dog or cat will vary depending on the animal shelter or humane group.

For more information, visit www.sheltercoalition.com.

Smith-Malave headlines Chef Invasion
Chef Invasion Dallas, an event featuring celebrity chefs and a silent auction, will be held Thursday, May 8, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at a private home in Dallas.

The event is presented by Absolut Vodka and benefits the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Tickets are $250 for patron VIPs, $100 for VIPs and $75 for general admission.

VIP ticketholders will receive gift bags and be entered into drawings for prizes.

Featured chef will be Chef Josie Smith-Malave from season two of Bravo TV’s "Top Chef." Chef Josie most recently worked with the 240 seat, bi-level Island Restaurant & Lounge in Long Island City, Queens, featuring seasonal Mediterranean cuisine.

The Dallas host committee includes: Sheila Bryant, W. Brian Casebolt, Jason Centeno, Hugh Corn, Vince Deegan, Thomas DuBois, Malcolm R. Gage, Jr., Katrina Franklin and Felicia Miller, Cordey Lash, Sammy Mckinzie, Dawn Meifert and Philomena Aceto, Danny Simpson and Julie Squibb.

For more information on the location and tickets, call 323-634-2046.


Garage sale to benefit AIDS LifeWalk
The Guys and Dolls AIDS LifeWalk team will hold its annual garage sale May 9-10, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 3975 Boca Bay Drive in Dallas.

All proceeds from the sale benefit AIDS Arms’ 2008 LifeWalk and Guys and Dolls are accepting donations for the sale.

For more information or to donate call 214-244-4652.


Crime Watch meeting is May 15
The next mneeting of the Oak Lawn Crime Watch will be held at noon on May 15 at the Oak Lawn Library.

Betty Worden from Braesbrook Apartments will lead the meeting and she plans to have officials from the Northwest and Central Patrol Divisions address issues specific to apartment managers and owners.



This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition May 2, 2008.

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments