The petition is entitled “Recognize our constitutional right to open carry firearms at The Republican National Convention at The Quicken Loans Arena in July 2016.”
The Republican Convention will be held in Columbus, Ohio on July 18-21. Ohio is an open carry state, but Quicken Loans Arena, whatever the hell that means, doesn’t allow guns. What a terrible affront to our Second Amendment rights. I’m sure plenty of NRA members will be there.
According to the petition, the NRA pointed out in March 2016, “gun free zones… tell every insane killer in America… (that the) safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk,” and Cleveland is ranked as one of the top 10 most dangerous cities in the country.
Here’s what the petition demands:
1. From the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland: A suspension of their policy preventing the open carry of firearms on the premises of the arena from July 18-21, 2016 to coincide with the Republican National Convention.
2. From the National Rifle Association: An immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution constituted by the “gun-free zone” loophole to the state law.
3. From Ohio Gov. John Kasich: A concerted effort to use his executive authority to override the “gun-free zone” loophole being exploited by the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
4. From Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee: An explanation of how a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention. Further, we demand a contingency plan to relocate the convention to another location should the Quicken Loans Arena refuse to honor the constitutional rights of the RNC guests to open carry firearms during the convention.
5. From all Republican candidates for president: You have been brave in raising awareness about the immense dangers posed by “gun-free zones.” In order to ensure the safety of your supporters, delegates and all attendees at the convention in July, you must call upon the RNC to rectify this affront to our Second Amendment freedoms and insist upon a suspension of the Quicken Loans Arena’s unconstitutional “gun-free zone” loophole. Every American is endowed with a God-given Constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please.
Because what could go wrong? Especially at a convention where establishment Republicans will be trying to deny giving the nomination to the guy who got the most votes. So sign and demand our constitutional rights.