Louis Schneider received the Resource Center of Dallas’ 2008
Martha Dealey Volunteer of the Year Award during the Center’s annual Volunteer Appreciation Party held Jan. 23 at the Starlight Room in Dallas’ West End.
Schneider, a longtime volunteer at the Center, donated 395 volunteer hours last year. Resource Center Executive Director Mike McKay called him "an example to the community for dedication to a cause without expectation of reward."
Schneider was just one of the more than 1,100 Resource Center volunteers honored at the event for volunteer work valued at more than $700,000 in 2008. Also recognized were:
• Whole Foods Market, which received the Randolph Terrell Community Service Award, given to a group or individual for exceptional service to the GLBT community and/or people living with HIV/AIDS.
• Bil Melton, who received the Suzanne Wilson Award, presented to the year’s most significant volunteer in Client Services.
• Maeve O’Connor, who received the John Thomas Award as the Gay & Lesbian Community Center’s exceptional volunteer of the year.
• Jim Putnam, who was awarded the Bill Nelson Award honoring the Nelson-Tebedo Health Resource Center’s outstanding volunteer of the year; and,
• Abraham Salum of Salum restaurant, who received the Bruce Long Award for outstanding development department volunteer.
The Center also recognized 72 volunteers who contributed more than 100 hours during 2008. James Smith, a volunteer with the Center’s hot meals program, donated 968 hours of his time last year.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition February 6, 2009.