Small fire creates big hassle for Trinity MCC

Posted on 17 Dec 2015 at 3:59pm

Burn areaA fire at Trinity Metropolitan Community Church in Grand Prairie may not have damaged much, but it caused a lot of problems for the LGBT-affirming church ahead of a busy Christmas season.

In a statement, the Rev. Curtis Smith, pastor of Trinity MCC, believes a candle inadvertently left aflame from the Sunday worship service was the cause of the fire. It damaged a display table, surrounding furnishings and room in the space they lease.

Insurance will cover the structural damage and loss of those furnishings but the deductible and other incidentals will need to be met.

“We are so blessed that a witness, reported seeing the flames through our glass front doors and that the Grand Prairie Fire Department responded so swiftly and appropriately,” Smith said in a statement. “Trinity MCC has graciously faced other tough moments in our 32 year history and God always provides through the faithfulness of our people and our community.”

The damage will not prevent the congregation from worshiping this coming Sunday, however.

They will meet in the parking lot for worship at the normal time. Bring your own lawn chairs. An alternative location has been reserved if the weather is bad outside.

“Your prayers and attendance at this week’s worship service will be the biggest help, but we would also appreciate any donation you make to our Building Fund to cover our deductible and other incidentals we will likely incur,” Smith said.

Trinity Metropolitan Community Church is located at 933 East Avenue J in Grand Prairie. For more information visit

Comments (powered by FaceBook)