Nine Dallas debuts, including two world premieres, distinguish the 2015–16 season of TITAS, the gay-run organization that presents innovative and international dance troupes to North Texas.
The 11-show season, including TITAS’ annual Command Performance Gala, includes the very sexy BalletBoyz, the return of Complexions Contemporary Ballet (founded by Alvin Ailey alums Desmond Richardson and Dwight Rhoden) and the world premiere 50th anniversary tour of Twlya Tharp Dance.
Although it has in recent years moved toward an emphasis of dance over music, this is TITAS’ first-ever season without any music acts presented.
Twyla Tharp Dance‘s tour kicks off the season with two shows (Sept. 18–19) at the Winspear Opera House. That will be followed by the world premiere of the avant garde urban funk of Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion, Oct. 29–30, at the City Performance Hall.
The next seven shows are all TITAS debuts:
• British-based Akram Khan Dance Company performs two shows at the City Performance Hall, Nov. 6–7.
• BodyTraffic, which in three years has risen in international acclaim. Winspear Opera House, Jan. 22, 2016.
• Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan will be presented in coordination with the Crow Collection of Asian Art. Winspear Opera House, Feb. 5.
• BalletBoyz combine an all-male cast with muscularity and grace. Winspear Opera House, Feb. 13, 2016.
• Mr. & Mme. Reve, the France-based performance-art troupe that creates dreamlike imagery through movement. City Performance Hall, March 18–19, 2016.
• La Compagnie Herve Koubi Dance. Reve is immediately followed by another French company for two shows, which TITAS executive director Charles Santos calls “surprising and fiercely masculine.” City Performance Hall, March 25–26.
• Canada’s Kidd Pivot Dance Company continues the French-language triumvirate at CPH for two shows, April 21–22, 2016.
• TITAS’ Command Performance Gala annually revives works from some of TITAS’ favorite companies and artists. Winspear Opera House, May 7, 2016.
• The season concludes with a favorite, Complexions Contemporary Ballet at the Winspear, May 21, 2016.
All performances except the gala begin at 8 p.m. Tickets are available at ATTPAC.org.