Nominations for the Grammy Awards were announced last night, and among the predicted big-name contenders are some of special interest to the gay community:
• Lady Gaga received six nominations, including best female pop vocal for “Bad Romance” and best album for The Fame Monster.
• Margaret Cho’s Cho Dependent is up for best comedy album against Kathy Griffin Does the Bible Belt.
• Two Sondheim albums are competing for musical show album: The revival of A Little Night Music and Sondheim on Sondheim. They contend against the revival of Promises, Promises with Sean Hayes and Kristen Chenoweth.
• Best compilation soundtrack album pits Glee: The Music, Vol. 1 against True Blood: Vol. 2.
• Michael Jackson received a nomination for pop male vocal for This Is It. Creepy. He’s competing against Adam Lambert for Whataya Want from Me.
• Best pop group vocal includes the cast of Glee for Don’t Stop Believin’ against Train for a live version of Hey, Soul Sister … which Glee just did better than Train.
• Elton John and Leon Russell, who were just in town, go up again Gaga and Beyonce and Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg for best vocal collboration.