It’s not often that Texas ranks at the top of the heap for anything LGBT, but DiversityInc named Dallas-based AT&T as the best company for LGBT employees.
AT&T was cited as the first company to oppose anti-gay policies at the Sochi Olympics and for its efforts opposing Arizona’s anti-gay law that was vetoed in February.
To compile the list, DiversityInc “looked at best practices that create an inclusive workplace for LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) employees as well as relationships with LGBT nonprofits and public advocacy of inclusiveness, such as support for same-gender marriage and public statements opposing homophobic actions.”
Those best practices include:
• Whether the company has an active LGBT employee resource group
• Percentage of philanthropic endeavors aimed at LGBT nonprofits
• Whether the company attempts to track the number of LGBT people in the workplace, including voluntary disclosure
• Whether the corporate website features images and text of LGBT employees, customers or vendors
• Whether the company certifies LGBT vendors with the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce
• Percentage of procurement spent with certified LGBT vendors
Here are the top 10 companies for LGBT employees:
2. Wells Fargo
3. MassMutual Financial Group
4. Time Warner
5. Eli Lilly and Company
Several of those companies, such as MassMutual, KPMG and EY, have offices in Dallas.