There has been a lot of news out there for a weekend, particularly with the tragic Arizona shooting. First, this update on the condition of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords:
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in critical condition Sunday as investigators attempted to understand what motivated a gunman’s shooting rampage that killed six and as investigators asked for the public’s help in finding a possible accomplice who was still at large.
University Medical Center spokeswoman Darci Slaten told The Associated Press that Giffords remained sedated after undergoing a two-hour surgery Saturday and has not been conscious since the shooting. She said more information will be released at a news conference in which one of the doctors who operated on Giffords plans to speak.
Some other new information since last night (MSNBC).
Right: Investigators said they were looking for an accomplice, believed to be in his 50s, who may have assisted in the attack.
The Pima County Sheriff’s office listed the dead as
- John M. Roll, 63, a federal district court judge.
- Gabriel Zimmerman, 30, Giffords’ director of community outreach.
- Dorwin Stoddard, 76, a pastor at Mountain Ave. Church of Christ.
- Christina-Taylor Green, 9, a student at Mesa Verde Elementary.
- Dorthy Morris, 76.
- Phyllis Schneck, 79.
A 9mm Glock handgun that had what police described as “an extended clip” with 30 bullets was recovered at the scene, The Washington Post reported. Officials told The Associated Press the gun used in the attack was purchased legally. The Post said it was bought Nov. 30 from the Sportsman’s Warehouse in Tucson.
…Law enforcement officials said members of Congress reported 42 cases of threats or violence in the first three months of 2010, nearly three times the 15 cases reported during the same period a year earlier. Nearly all dealt with the health care bill, and Giffords was among the targets.
There is a discussion board at MSNBC where you can leave condolences for the families of those affected by the shootings.
* As horrible as the domestic terrorism news in Arizona was to take, look at what is going on south of the border related to narco-terrorism in a city known for tourism – 27 deaths, including 14 decapitated, rock Acapulco.
Feel free to post links to stories out there that may have been missed.
Pam’s House Blend – Front Page