• Someone becomes infected with HIV every 9½ minutes.
• One in five people infected with HIV is unaware of it.
• Since 1981, more than 30 million people worldwide have died from the disease.
• Since 1981, more than 600,000 in the United States have died from the disease.
• 61,595 people in Texas are infected with HIV.
• Today, 34 million people worldwide have HIV/AIDS.
• Although African-Americans make up only about 12 percent of the U.S. population, they make up nearly half the people in the country who are living with HIV.
• Nearly 3 out of 4 Americans living with HIV do not have their infection under control.
• About 1.2 million people in the United States are living with HIV.
• Only 28 percent of those have a suppressed viral load.
• Of those living with HIV who are in ongoing care and on anti-retroviral treatment, 77 percent have suppressed levels of the virus.
• Only 51 percent of those with HIV in the United States receive ongoing medical care and treatment.
On Dec. 1, AIDS organizations from across Dallas County will gather at Main Street Garden at 7:30 p.m. for an AIDS remembrance.
Powered by Facebook Comments