Congress House Apartments, 4320 Congress Ave. (Anna Waugh/Dallas Voice)

Dallas firefighters battled a three-alarm blaze early Wednesday morning in Oak Lawn that destroyed 10 apartments.

Firefighters were alerted at 4:45 a.m. to the fire in a downstairs apartment in the Congress House Apartments, at 4320 Congress Ave., according to Dallas-Fire Rescue.

A second alarm was called 10 minutes later and a third alarm for additional help came at around 5:15 a.m., resulting in 54 total firefighters fighting the flames that reached the attic and were intensified by the heat.

The fire was contained around 6 a.m. after units were able to the access breezeways to the attic and block the fire from spreading.

Ten of the 34 apartments were destroyed with an estimated structural loss of $200,000, according to DFR. Another $3,000 was estimated in property loss. No injuries were reported.

Arson investigators have not yet determined a cause.

From Dallas Fire-Rescue:

At 04:44 Dallas Fire-Rescue (DFR) responded to a 911 call for a structure fire at the Congress House Apartments, located at the 4300 block of Congress Avenue, just outside of Downtown Dallas.

When first responding companies arrived they reported out with fire coming from a second floor window. The fire was able to reach the attic space and quickly spread in both directions. However, by accessing the attic space via breezeways on opposite ends of the building, firefighters were able to cut the fire off, and put it out, from both directions.

There were a total of 34 units in the apartment complex; but thanks to firefighters’ quick actions, only 10 of them were made uninhabitable. The American Red Cross was on location to assist an unknown number of residents who were displaced; but thankfully none of those people were injured during the incident.

In addition to the fire itself, the heat played a significant role as to why a third alarm was placed on the fire. Thanks to the Box 4 Fire Buffs, and the Salvation Army Canteen, firefighters were able to get all the relief they needed during the course of the incident.

DFR Arson Investigators determined that the fire started in a second floor unit, but the exact cause is still under investigation.