Have an event coming up? Email your information to Managing Editor Tammye Nash at firstname.lastname@example.org or Senior Staff Writer David Taffet at email@example.com by Wednesday at 5 p.m. for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guests are TreShaun Pate, Trenton Johnson and Jade Lenore from the Black Trans Advocacy Conference; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community (UBE Connected) at 7 p.m. every fourth Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce St., Suite C; Core Group Meeting every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.; Fuse game night every Monday evening except the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the Treymore Building, 4038 Lemmon Ave, Suite 101; FuseConnect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. For more information call or e-mail Jalenzski at 214-760-9718 ext 3 or Jalenzski@myresourcecenter.org. LGBT square dancing group Pegasus Squares meets every Sunday from 3-5 p.m. at Dallas School of Burlesque, 2924 Main St #103; Dallas Frontrunners meet for a walk or run on the Katy Trail at the Robert E. Lee statue in Lee park every Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and every Saturday at 9 a.m.
• April 21: Federal Club mixer
The DFW Federal Club holds its April Mixer from 6-8 p.m. at Cedar Grove, 4123 Cedar Springs Road. Visit DFWFederalClub.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
• April 21: Compassion Fatigue Symposium
Ed-U-Care presents its sixth annual symposium from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at
Lovers Lane United Methodist Church, 9200 Inwood Road.EdUCareDallas.com.
• April 22: Metroball Day at the Casino
Metroball Winstar Casino Party Bus and fundraiser for Greg Dollgener Memorial AIDS Fund leaves at 8:30 a.m. from
Sue Ellen’s, 3014 Throckmorton St. and from Collin Creek Mall in Plano at 9 a.m.
$75. $125 per couple. GDMAF.org
• April 22: Turtle Creek cleanup
Turtle Creek Association needs volunteers to help keep Turtle Creek beautiful and litter-free. Trash bags and pickers provided. Wear no-slip shoes and gloves. Meet at 9 a.m. on Hall Street at the Katy Trail. Clarke@TurtleCreekAssociation.org.
• April 22: Charity Underwear Auction
Charity America organization hosts a Charity Underwear Auction at BJ’s NXS!, 3215 Fitzhugh Ave., at 9 p.m. The event is hosted by Mr. and Miss Charity America 2017, Preston David Pickett and Jazzmin St. James D’Monaco, and will feature Sable Alexander, Melodee Karrmichael, Onyx Anderson, Gloria Devine, Mona Devine, Bronx Diorr and The Queen G. Event sponsors are Outlines Men’s Wear and Skivvies.
• April 22: Carnival of Health
Students, physicians and health professionals from UT Southwestern Medical Center team up for the 13th annual Carnaval de Salud (Carnival of Health) from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at T.J. Rusk Middle School, 2929 Inwood Road, offering free health care to under-served populations in Dallas. The health fair will feature free health screenings for several common conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Participants can also get free sports physicals and learn about local health resources. There will be interactive booths for children, carnival activities, arts and crafts and prizes.
• April 23: Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day)
Dallas Holocaust Museum/Center for Education and Tolerance hosts a community-wide commemoration of
Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Remembrance Day) at Temple Emanu-El, 8500 Hillcrest Ave. The program will include readings from the children of Holocaust survivors and music for the Temple Emanu-El Choir and the Israeli Scouts. Yom Hashoah commemorates the 6 million Jews murdered in the Holocaust and celebrates the lives of those who survived. DallasHolocaustMuseum.org.
• April 23: Free men’s grooming event
Free beard trim, hot towel treatment, facial, hair touch up, raffles, free samples and more from 2:30-7 p.m. Dallas Eagle, 5740 Maple Ave.
• April 23: Pre-needs planning
Funeral planning for the LGBT community from Lincoln Funeral Home. Brunch included from 1-3 p.m. at El Fenix,
6811 W. Northwest Highway. To reserve a seat, contact Scottlynd Colgrove at 214-398-8133 or scolgrove@lincemetery.
• April 24: HRC Mondays
Chino Chinatown in Trinity Groves, on Singleton Avenue in Dallas hosts HRC Mondays, partnering with Equality Vodka to offer specialty cocktails and $5 Equality Vodka drinks, with 20 percent of all Equality Vodka sales going to the
Human Rights Campaign.
• April 24-30: National Black Trans Advocacy Conference
The National Black Trans Advocacy Conference and Awards Gala is an educational and empowerment event, attended by 300 trans and gender non-conforming individuals, family, friends, allies and corporate partners from across the country. Marriott Quorum, 14901 Dallas Pkwy, Addison. BlackTrans.org.
• April 25: Spring Fling mixer
Meet the Oak Lawn Library staff and Oak Lawn Library Friends who discuss upcoming programs. Free appetizers and drink specials. 5:30-7 p.m. at Zephyr, 4001 Cedar Springs Road.
• April 26: LGBT Youth Homelessness Awareness Day
Mayor Mike Rawlings issued a proclamation to bring awareness to the issue.
• April 27-May 1: Purple Party Weekend 2017
Dallas Purple Party 2017, presented by Purple Foundation, begins Thursday with Bear Party, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Dallas Eagle, continues with Pump! the Welcome Mixer on Friday from 4-8 p.m. at Aloft Hotel, then the Ignite Opening Party from
9 a.m.-4 p.m. at S4, continues Saturday with the Rise Pool Party from 1-7 p.m. at Sisu Uptown and the Purple Party Main Event from 10 p.m.-5 a.m. at South Side Music Hall, followed by the Refresh Sunday Brunch from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Aloft Hotel and Revival Tea Dance from 1-7 p.m. at The Nines, and concludes with Glow Closing Party from 9 p.m.-4 a.m. at the Hall of State at Fair Park. For information and tickets visit PurpleFoundation.org.
• April 28: Celebration of Excellence Dinner
The North Texas GLBT Chamber of Commerce presents its Business Excellence Awards at its Celebration of Excellence Dinner. Renaissance Dallas Hotel, 2222 N. Stemmons Freeway. GLBTChamber.org.
• April 28: Women’s Business Conference
The Dallas Regional Chamber hosts the 21st annual Women’s Business Conference with keynote speaker Judy Smith at 8 a.m. at Hyatt Regency Dallas, 300 Reunion Blvd. $99 members, $250 nonmembers. DallasChamber.org.
• April 29: An April Arts Salon
April is Arts Month in Dallas. The Turtle Creek Chorale and Bruce Wood Dance Project present An April Arts Salon with The Women’s Chorus of Dallas, Uptown Players, the Cathedral of Hope Choir, and others at 7:30 p.m. at Cathedral of Hope, 5910 Cedar Springs Road. $25. AnAprilArtsSalon.Eventbrite.com.
• April 29: Operation Kindness Health Clinic
Operation Kindness no-kill animal shelter partners with Pets for Life and the city of Carrollton to host a pet health clinic, from 10 a.m.-noon at the Crosby Recreation Center, 1610 Crosby Road in Carrollton, offering microchipping and city licenses to low-income pet owners, along with spay and neuter humane education. For information call 972-247-1369.
• April 30: Operation Kindness Hope Gala
Dinner and entertainment by Ricki Derek and his six-piece band from 7-10 p.m. at Sambuca, 2120 McKinney Ave. OperationKindness.org.
• April 30: Miss Big Thickette
Nelda Pickens hosts as members of the Turtle Creek Chorale dust off their wigs and paint their faces to compete for the coveted title of Miss Big Thickett from 7-10 p.m. at the Round-Up Saloon, 3912 Cedar Springs Road. Benefits Prism Health North Texas, formerly AIDS Arms. TurtleCreekChorale.com.
• May 4: Outrageous Oral
Mica England talks about her lawsuit against the Dallas Police Department at 7 p.m. at The Rose Room at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. TheDallasWay.org.
Onyx will be one of the special guests performing at the Charity Underwear Auction at BJ’s NXS! Saturday, April 22. The event is hosted by Mr. and Miss Charity American 2017, Preston David Pickett and Jazzmin St. James D’Monaco. See listings for details.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition April 21, 2017.