Have an event coming up? E-mail your information to staff writer James Russell at email@example.com by Thursday at 10 a.m.
for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guest is Broadway producer Terry Loftis; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community at 7 p.m. every second Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce Street, Suite C; Fuse game night every Monday evening but the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the ilume, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, Apt 2367; Fuse Connect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. at the Fuse Space.
• June 1–30: Dallas Public Library #LGBTBookMonth
Follow @DallasLibrary on Twitter for a new book recommendation every day in honor
of the American Library Association’s GLBT Book Month, a nationwide celebration of the authors and writings that reflect the lives and experiences of the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgender community.
• June 12: Congregation Beth El Binah celebrates the ancient Biblical holiday LGBT Pride Shabbat 7:30 p.m. at Resource Center, 2701 Reagan. For more information visit Bethelbinah.org.
• June 12: High Tech Happy Hour
Texas Instruments Pride, the LGBT and ally diversity group, hosts its monthly High Tech Happy Hour to increase professional and social contacts between groups and individuals and to foster community. 5:30–7:30 p.m. at Cedar Springs Tap House, 4123 Cedar Springs Road, Ste. 100. For more information e-mail
Paul von Wupperfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 13: Bahama Beach LGBT Day
Mention LGBT Day and receive the $9 reduced admission price at Bahama Beach Ultimate Waterpark, 1895 Campfire Circle. 214-671-0820.
• June 14: SPCA Paws Cause 2015
20th anniversary celebration of SPCA fundraiser for SPCA of Texas’ Mary Spencer Spay/Neuter and Wellness Clinic at Village Fair from 6–9 p.m. at the Jan Rees-Jones Animal Care Center, 2400 Lone Star Drive. Tickets are $150 each. Limited quantity. For more information, visit Pawscausedallas.org.
• June 14: Fifth Annual North Texas Gay Pride Festival
Family-friendly festival features entertainment including former McKinney resident Hollie Cavanaugh and Jane McGarry of WFAA as well as games, photo booths and vendors from 1–5 p.m. in downtown McKinney, 218 E. Louisiana. Benefits Collin County’s Hope’s Door, an organization offering domestic violence resources and services. Tickets are $5 per person beginning May 1 at NorthTexasPride.org on or $10 per person at the gates. Children 12 and under are free. For more information visit NorthTexasPride.org.
• June 16: Stonewall Democrats of Dallas Monthly Meeting
Socialize at 6 p.m., meeting with special guest speakers Dallas County Commissioner Theresa Daniel and Dallas County Democratic Chair candidates Carol Donovan and Tex Quesada at 6:30 p.m. at Ojeda’s Restaurant, 4617 Maple Ave. All are welcome.
• June 16: DFW Transcendence Trans/SOFFA Meeting
Trans and ally support group meets monthly on first and third Tuesdays from 7–9 p.m. at Agape MCC, 4615 East California Parkway, Fort Worth. For more information call Finn Jones at 214-499-0378 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• June 18: Urban Engagement Book Club: Capital in the Twenty-First Century by Thomas Pikkety
CitySquare’s monthly Urban Engagement Book Club explores various social justice issues with writer Randy Mayeux and local social justice leaders. Free. Noon of every third Thursday at the Opportunity Center,
1610 S. Malcolm X Blvd. For more information visit CitySquare.org.
• June 18: Pride Party in Plano
Celebrate pride and toast the pending Supreme Court decision on marriage equality with GALA North Texas from 5:30–8:30 p.m. at the Blue Martini Lounge, 7301 Lone Star Drive, A-110, Plano. Event includes half price discount drinks, free appetizers and raffle prizes. For more information visit On.fb.me/1PR9HrD.
• June 19: Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance and Trans Pride Initiative present “Hard Conversations: One Organization’s Journey Toward LGBT Competency”
Leaders with Fort Worth’s ACH Child and Family Services discuss the process and results promoting LGBT youth acceptance. Noon–1:30 p.m., in the Oak Room of the Center for Community Cooperation,
2900 Live Oak St. Space is limited. For more information and to RSVP call or e-mail David Gruber at 469-222-0047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• June 19: Dallas Juneteenth Festival
Free event and festival features vendors, games, food, live music and games from noon–5 p.m. at Martin Luther King Community Center, 2922 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. For more information call LaRhonda Bacon at 214-670-8419.
• June 20: Stonewall Democrats of Central Texas’ Pride Rally
In anticipation of the Supreme Court’s decision on marriage equality, experts and speakers on marriage licenses will talk about the legal process for obtaining marriage licenses and more from 1–3 p.m. at the Bell County Courthouse, 101 W. Central Avenue, Belton.
• June 20–21: Juneteenth Pool Party and Unity BBQ
UBE and Dallas Southern Pride partner for a pool party from 5–10 p.m. on Saturday, June 20 at Bungalow, 3121 Ross Ave. with a poolside fashion show, UBE Cabana and swag and apparel. $10. Unity Barbeque from 2–7 p.m. at Stone Tables Pavilion,
650 East Lawther Drive. For information visit UBEDallas.org/Juneteenth.
• June 20: We Do Preview Screening at CoH
New documentary film about the stories of three LGBT couples, their journeys for legal recognition of their relationships and the impact that the pursuit of marriage equality has on their lives. 6 p.m. at Cathedral of Hope, 5910 Cedar Springs Road. Free with $5 suggested donation. For more information
e-mail Todd Whitley at email@example.com.
• June 20: Girls Rock Dallas’ Summer Splash Party
Fourth annual Summer Splash Party from 3-5 p.m. at the Fraternal Order of Eagles, 8500 Arturo Drive. Free event open to all families with bake sale and entertainment benefitting scholarships for weeklong summer day camp for girls ages 8-17. For more information visit GirlsRockDallas.org.
• June 20: Gaybingo: Super hero/villain
Monthly fundraiser for Resource Center takes place 6–9 p.m. at Rose Room at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. Doors open at 5 p.m. For more information call 214-540-4495 or e-mail Gaybingo@myresourcecenter.org.
• June 21: Tarrant County Gay Pride Week Association Monthly Meeting
Meets at 3 p.m. at the Baron House at Celebration Community Church, 908 W. Pennsylvania Avenue, Fort Worth. For more information e-mail Richard Tinker at Tink2uwithu@aol.com.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition June 12, 2015.