Have an event coming up? Email your information to Managing Editor Tammye Nash at [email protected] or Senior Staff Writer David Taffet at [email protected] by Wednesday at 5 p.m. for that week’s issue.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly every Sunday at 1 p.m. on 89.3 KNON-FM. This week’s guest is Erin Moore, lesbian; United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community (UBE Connected) at 7 p.m. every fourth Tuesday of the month at 3116 Commerce St., Suite C; Core Group Meeting every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.; Fuse game night every Monday evening except the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the Treymore Building, 4038 Lemmon Ave, Suite 101; FuseConnect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. For more information call or e-mail Jalenzski at 214-760-9718 ext. 3 or [email protected] LGBT square dancing group Pegasus Squares meets every Sunday from 2:30–4:30 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church, 4105 Junius St. For more info, email [email protected]; Dallas Frontrunners meet for a walk or run on the Katy Trail at the Robert E. Lee statue in Lee Park every Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and every Saturday at 9 a.m.; Leadership Lambda Toastmasters practices and develops speaking and leadership skills from 6:30–8 p.m. on Tuesdays at First Unitarian Church, third floor of the Hallman Building, 4012 St. Andrews; Gray Pride support group from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. followed by mixer every Monday at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road; Lambda AA meets at 7 a.m., noon, 6 p.m. 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. and has a men’s meeting at 10 a.m. on Saturdays and meets at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Sunday at 1575 W. Mockingbird Lane #625. Call 214-267-0222 for details; DVtv in Spayse, news and entertainment discussion live streaming every Friday, 4–5 p.m., on the Spayse Station YouTube channel.
• Aug. 11: DFW Pride Happy Hour
Everyone is welcome to join at this self-styled “cocktail den” From 5:30-7:30 p.m. at The Cedars Social, 1326 S. Lamar St.
• Aug. 11: Square dancing demo
LGBT square dancing group Pegasus Squares presents a demo/introduction from 7:30–8:30 p.m. at Round-Up Saloon, 3912 Cedar Springs Road. For more info, email [email protected]
• Aug. 11: Equality Texas Dallas Summer Mixer
Julian Castro and Evan Wolfson are scheduled guests from 6-8 p.m. at IQ Haus, 1107 Dragon St. Tickets at EventBrite.com.
• Aug. 11: Sing for Dignity
The Turtle Creek Chorale and guests perform a 24-hour sing-a-long marathon beginning at 6 p.m. at Interfaith Peace Chapel, 5910 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 12: Landmark Dinner
Lambda Legal’s annual dinner, 6-10 p.m. at The Adolphus Hotel, 1321 Commerce St. in Dallas. Individual tickets are $250; sponsorships are available, starting at $1,500. For information email Carla McKinzie at [email protected] or call 214-219-8585.
• Aug. 12: Let’s Go Rollerskating
Rainbow Roundup goes rollerskating. Don’t worry if your child can’t skate, skate trainers are available for rent. From 3-5 p.m. at Fort Worth Rollerland West, 7325 Calmont Ave, Fort Worth. Skate fee is $7.50 per person.
• Aug. 12: Stigma-Free Workshop
Team Friendly DFW and Resource Center team up to bring the first Stigma-Free Community Workshops to Dallas, designed to foster a safe community environment where we can sit and discuss the topic of HIV in a Stigma Free space hosted by Nelson-Tebedo Clinic from
10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road. Free.
Ticket information at EventBrite.com.
• Aug. 13: Top Dog Fashion Show
Entry fee is $25 and admission $5 all benefiting LifeWalk/Tucker’s Gift from 6-9 p.m. at The Rose Room, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. TopDog.TuckersGift.org.
• Aug. 14-16: DIVA New Member Clinic
Dallas Independent Volleyball Association new member clinic for interested in playing volleyball or joining the league. Everyone who joins our league will be drafted onto a team. Advance sign up required to attend at DIVADallas.org. From 6:30-9 p.m. at K.B. Polk Recreation Center, 6801 Roper St.
• Aug 15: Get Centered
Behind the scenes tour of the Resource Center led by CEO Cece Cox from 11 a.m.-noon at 5750 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 15: City Budget Town Hall
District 1 Councilman Scott Griggs will hold a town hall to hear input on the proposed city budget for fiscal year 2017-2018 at 6 p.m. at Hitt Auditorium at Methodist Dallas Medical Center, 1441 N. Beckley Ave. For information call 214-670-0776.
• Aug 16: Hit the Wall
WaterTower Theatre presents Hit the Wall, a play about the Stonewall Rebellion runs through Aug. 20. At the Aug. 16 performance, members of The Dallas Way hold a panel discussion after the show. Mention The Dallas Way when ordering tickets and receive a discounted price of $22. At 7:30 p.m. at WaterTower Theatre, 15650 Addison Road, Addison. www.WaterTowerTheatre.org.
• Aug. 16: GALA ally training
Wondering how to be an ally to the LGBT community at work, school or place of worship? The GALA Ally Committee is offering a free two-hour training from 6-8 p.m. at Keller Williams Frisco, 4783 Preston Road, Suite 100, Frisco. RSVP to [email protected]
• Aug. 17: Gray Pride
Monthly mixer from 5:30-7 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 18: Federal Club Mixer
The DFW HRC Federal Club holds it August mixer at Wheelhouse, 1617 Hi-Line Drive, Ste. 390, 6-8 p.m. Admission is free but guests are asked to pre-register online at fcaugustmixer2017.eventbrite.com.
• Aug. 19: Hoot N’ Holler Gaybingo
Monthly fundraiser for Resource Center takes place from 6-9 p.m. at the Rose Room at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road.
• Aug. 19: Car wash
Team ASD LifeWalk washes cars, trucks and SUVs to raise money for LifeWalk from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at BJ’ss NXS!, 3215 N. Fitzhugh Ave. For information check the Team ASD page at LifeWalk.org.
• Aug. 19: GALA ally training
Wondering how to be an ally to the LGBT community at work, school or place of worship? The GALA Ally Committee is offering a free two-hour training from 9–11 a.m. at Celebrity Café & Bakery West Plano, 4709 West Parker Road Suite 450, Plano. RSVP to [email protected]
• Aug. 19: Dishing It Out
Paul J. Williams presents his one-man show Dishing It Out at 7 p.m. at Henderson Civic Theater, 122 E. Main, Henderson. $15.
• Aug. 20: HRC DFW women’s event
The HRC DFW Federal Club hosts Women Celebrating Women Sunday Funday, for those ages 21 and older, from 2-5 p.m. at Lakewood Brewing Company, 2302 Executive Drive. Tickets are $20 in advance, available online at fcwcw2017.eventbrite.com, and $30 at the door, and include the chance to try three different craft beers as well as mingling and celebrating with other women. For information email [email protected]
• Aug. 20: Pegasus Squares open house
LGBT square dancing group Pegasus Squares holds a free open house from 2:30–4:30 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church, 4105 Junius St. Meet us, watch and try it, and discover if square dancing is for you. For more info, email [email protected]
• Aug. 20: Team Metro’s Taco Time
Team Metro, one of the teams raising funds for LifeWalk 2017, will host a Taco Time fundraiser from 2:30-6:30 p.m. at The Hidden Door, 5025 Bowser Ave. For information check the Team Metro page at LifeWalk.org.
• Aug. 22: City Budget Town Hall
District 1 Councilman Scott Griggs, District 3 Councilman Casey Thomas and District 4 Councilman and Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway will hold a town hall to hear input on the proposed city budget for fiscal year 2017-2018 at 6 p.m. at Black Box Theatre at the Hampton-Illinois Library, 2951 S. Hampton Rd. For information call 214-670-0776.
• Aug. 22: Team LUV Give Back Day
Team LUV, one of the teams raising funds for LifeWalk 2017, hosts Give Back Day at Mi Camino Restaurante, 3830 W. Northwest Highway, with 10 percent of sales that day benefiting Team LUV. Includes dine in, take out and catering to Southwest Airlines. For information check the Team LUV page at LifeWalk.org.
• Aug. 24: HRC Kick-off to Pride
Human Rights Campaign Dallas/Fort Worth kicks of Dallas Pride season with a gathering from 6:30-8 p.m. at The Round-Up Saloon, 3912 Cedar Springs Road, to sign up volunteers for the Festival in Reverchon Park and the Dallas Pride parade. For information email [email protected]
• Aug. 24: Young Professionals Back-to-School event
The young Professionals Advisory council raises money for Youth First with DJ Brandon Moses from 6-8 p.m. at The Goss-Michael Foundation, 1305 Wycliff Ave. #120.
Evan Wolfson with Freedom to Marry and Julian Castro, former San Antonio mayor and HUD secretary, will be special guests tonight at the Equality Texas Summer Mixer. The Lambda Legal Landmark Dinner is Saturday night. For details on both events, see the listings.
This article appeared in the Dallas Voice print edition August 11, 2017.