Have an event coming up? Email your information to Managing Editor Tammye Nash at [email protected] or Senior Staff Writer David Taffet at [email protected] by Wednesday at 5 p.m. for that week’s issue.
• May 11: DFW Pride Happy Hour
DFW Pride Happy Hour holds a special happy hour event from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road.
• May 11-14: Purple Party
Pump from 5-9 p.m. on Friday at Aloft Dallas Downtown, 1033 Young St. Ignite with Alex Acosta and Corey David at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road on Friday from 9 p.m.-4 a.m. $40. The Purple Party Main Event with Rosabel on Saturday from 10 p.m.-5 a.m. at Southside Ballroom, 1135 S. Lamar St. $100.
• May 11: Not Your Grandpa’s Underwear Auction
The United Court of the Lone Star Empire and Central Texas Empire present Not Your Grandpa’s Underwear Auction, benefitting the Reign 501(c)(3) beneficiaries, at Dallas Eagle, 5740 Maple Ave. Cocktails at 7 p.m. and show at 8 p.m.
• May 12: Food Drive for Resource Center
The Annual National Association of Letter Carriers Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive collects donations of non-perishable food items for local food pantries. Leave donations in a bag by your mailbox and your letter carrier will pick it up and deliver it to a local food bank. Donations made in the 75219 zip code area will go to the Resource Center food pantry.
• May 12: House of DIFFA: Alter Ego
Celebrate fashion, design and philanthropy at the annual black tie galaincluding runway show and after party at the Omni Dallas
• May 12: Gray Pride Prom
Gray Pride Prom for LGBTQ seniors ages 50 and older. Live DJ, dancing, raffle prizes and more from 7-11 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road. $10 suggested donation.
• May 12: An Evening with Chadwick Moore
Log Cabin Republicans of Dallas present former OUT magazine and The Advocate editor Chadwick Moore from 5:30-9 p.m. at a private residence. $40-100. LCRDallas.nationbuilder.com/events.
• May 12: Bridges: LGBTQ+ Then & Now
Gray Pride presents a performance by Flexible Grey featuring monologues based on questions submitted for LGBT seniors by Millennial LGBTs in an effort to bridge the gap between the generations. 7 p.m. in the Borick Auditorium at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road. Performances repeat May 16-19.
• May 13: Mother’s Day with The Women’s Chorus of Dallas
TWCD performs at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. at Texas Discovery Gardens, 3601 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.
• May 14: First day of early voting
Early voting for the primary runoff election runs May 14-18. Vote in any early voting location in your county.
• May 14: Tarrant County Stonewall
Tarrant County Stonewall Democrats welcomes speakers Lisa Turner and state Rep. Chris Turner at 7 p.m. at One Safe Place, 1100 Hemphill St., Fort Worth. All remaining monthly meetings will be at the Women’s Club.
• May 15: Grief support group
LGBT grief support group for people who have lost a same-sex partner from 6:45-8 p.m. at Oak Lawn Library, 4100 Cedar Springs Road.
• May 16: Health Campus Open House
Resource Center’s health campus holds an open house from 5:30-7 p.m. at 2701 Reagan St. Meet the staff, tour the campus and learn about Resource Center’s programs and services. Light bites and win included.
• May 17: HRC Federal Club Happy Hour
The Thursday HRC Federal Club Happy Hour will be held from 6-8 p.m. at Daniel Padilla Gallery, 2629 N. Stemmons Freeway, # 104. For information email [email protected]
• May 17: Meet Lupe
Gubernatorial candidate Lupe Valdez appears from 5:30-7 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road.
• May 17: Third Thursday Happy Hour
GALA gathers from 5:30-8 p.m. at Bonnie Ruth’s Bistro, 916 Garden Park Drive, Allen.
• May 18: Red Dragon
Dallas Red Foundation presents Red Dragon: The Forbidden City from 8-11 p.m. at The Empire Room, 1225 N. Riverfront Blvd. Tickets $45-125 available at z2systems.com.
• May 19: V.A. LGBTQ Community Resource Day
The Dallas Vet Center and Resource Center host vendors and community stakeholders who will provide information to LGBTQ vets and their family members from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road.
• May 19: AOC Evening of Hope
AIDS Outreach Center of Fort Worth hosts its annual Evening of Hope gala at the Hilton Hotel Fort Worth, 815 Main St. Single tickets are $200. Sponsorships are available. For information visit
• May 19: Marvel vs. DC Gaybingo
Monthly fundraiser for Resource Center takes place from 6-9 p.m. at the Rose Room at S4, 3911 Cedar Springs Road. 214-540-4458. MyResourceCenter.org/gaybingo.
• May 19: GLAAD Media Institute
Equality Texarkana presents Engagement 101: Telling Your Story: Messaging and Media Tools for Today’s Activist from 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. at Texas A&M Texarkana, 7101 University Ave., Texarkana, Texas. Tickets at GLAAD.org/institute/courses.
• May 19: LGBT Senior Prom
Gray Pride’s Senior Prom at J. Erik Jonsson Library, O’Hara Hall 7th Floor, 1515 Young St.
• May 19: Black Tie Dinner Spring Brunch
Black Tie holds its second annual Spring Brunch with cocktails, live entertainment and guest speaker Dale Hansen, from
11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Renaissance Dallas Hotel — City View Room & Terrace. Tickets are $125, available online at BlackTie.org. Seating is limited.
• May 19: Chief on the Beat
Dallas Police Department presents Chief on the Beat in the East Patrol Division with Buckner Terrance, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at 5000 Berridge Lane, with Police Chief U. Renee Hall and Councilman Kevin Felder. This is a free family-friendly event with a bounce house, photo booth, heath screenings and more.
• Weekly: Lambda Weekly at 1 p.m. on Sunday on 89.3 KNON-FM with David Taffet, Lerone Landis and the late Patti Fink. Community counselor Candy Marcum is this week’s guest; Leadership Lambda Toastmasters gay-identified Toastmasters group meets from 6:30-8 p.m. every Monday at the First Unitarian Church, 4015 Normandy Road (does not meet on Mondays that are holidays); United Black Ellument hosts discussion on HIV/AIDS in the black community (UBE Connected) at 7 p.m. every fourth Tuesday of the month at 3918 Harry Hines Blvd.; Core Group Meeting every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.; Fuse game night every Monday evening except the last of the month at 8 p.m. at the Fuse space in the 3918 Harry Hines Blvd.; FuseConnect every Wednesday from 7 p.m. For more information call or e-mail Jalenzski at 214-760-9718 ext. 3 or [email protected] LGBT square dancing group Pegasus Squares meets every Sunday from 2:30–4:30 p.m. at Grace United Methodist Church, 4105 Junius St. For more info, email [email protected]; Dallas Frontrunners meet for a walk or run on the Katy Trail at Oak Lawn Park, Turtle Creek and Hall Street, every Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. and every Saturday at 9 a.m.; Leadership Lambda Toastmasters practices and develops speaking and leadership skills from 6:30–8 p.m. on Tuesdays at First Unitarian Church, third floor of the Hallman Building, 4012 St. Andrews; Gray Pride support group from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. followed by mixer every Monday at Resource Center, 5750 Cedar Springs Road; Lambda AA meets at 7 a.m., noon, 6 p.m. 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. and has a men’s meeting at 10 a.m. on Saturdays and meets at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Sunday at 1575 W. Mockingbird Lane #625. Call 214-267-0222 for details; DVtv in Spayse, news and entertainment discussion live streaming every Friday, 4–5 p.m., on the Spayse Station YouTube channel.
The 2018 Purple Party kicks off tonight (Friday, May 11), and continues through the weekend, culminating in the Main Event party Saturday at Southside Ballroom, featuring DJs Rosabel. See listings for details.