I got an e-mail today from a representative with Cougared.com, “the leading cougar dating website” (I didn’t even know cougar dating websites existed!) telling me that the site has released the results of a recent survey of “cubs” (younger men who date — or want to date — older women). And according to The Cub Report (Seriously, that’s what they called the report on the survey results), “high-powered political hockey mom” Sarah Palin is their “ultimate fantasy cougar woman.”
Palin won out over a “short list” of candidates that included “cougar icons” Demi Moore, Courteney Cox, Madonna, Kim Cattrall and Janice Dickinson — and apparently, even the folks who run the website were astounded, since they wrote in their press release: “The surprise finding was one of several fascinating revelations” to come out of the survey that was “designed to get inside the mind of the modern younger man.”
Here are some of those other “fascinating revelations” (Comments in parentheses are mine, not the website’s or the report’s):
• The perfect age range for a cougar is 41-45 (even if I were straight and tried, I couldn’t be a prime cougar because I am too old).
• 1 in 5 cougar chases have gotten together with a friend’s mother (Eeeeeewwww! That is just wrong!).
• 2/3s say the media and celebrities have an effect; it is “officially less socially awkward” to date an older woman thanks to the media’s coverage of cougars.
• The biggest turn-on for the younger men is maturity (as opposed, I guess to possibly bigger bank accounts?).
• 19 percent have been “cougared” by an older boss or co-worker.
• Only 8 percent said they were looking for a sugar mama. And …
• 80 percent said they wouldn’t necessarily object if their own mothers became cougars.
(Okay, those last two …. let’s just say, I’m not really buying those two.)